Lead member: University of Otago
Understanding the brain is one of the great frontiers of science. As a major theme of research within the Matariki network, we aim to generate new understanding of how the neural circuits of the brain work to control mental functions such as attention, sensory perception, motor control and memory, as well as physiological processes such as hormone secretion, which also exerts significant influence on cognition and behaviour. Research into the cellular and molecular mechanisms of these functions will provide detailed information on how these biological processes contribute to our various psychological abilities. Knowledge of how these mechanisms are affected by and contribute to disease processes is critical for developing tests for identifying neurological diseases in their early stages, and new therapies to treat them.
- Matariki 3MT® 2021 results October 27, 2021
- Matariki 3MT 2021 September 27, 2021
- Matariki Lecture Series – Race, Racism and Decolonisation September 14, 2021
- Matariki Lecture Series – Human Evolution August 6, 2021
- Matariki Lecture Series – call for speakers March 24, 2021