Oceans and the Blue Economy
Lead member: University of Western Australia
We are reliant on the oceans for food security, commercial and socio-cultural activities as well as ecosystem services; yet our oceans are increasingly under pressure. Furthermore, a growing number of countries include blue economy goals in their national agenda. Whilst there is considerable potential for wealth from the oceans through shipping and transport, fisheries, energy and tourism, utilisation of the ocean and marine resources must be balanced with sustainable management and conservation. This will involve innovative solutions including cooperation between different sectors and collaboration across disciplines. This theme explores the challenges facing the oceans and how MNU members can work together to contribute to maintaining healthy oceans and achieving blue economy goals.
- Matariki Lecture Series – Race, Racism and Decolonisation September 14, 2021
- Matariki Lecture Series – Human Evolution August 6, 2021
- Matariki Lecture Series – call for speakers March 24, 2021
- Matariki Lecture 2020 November 12, 2020
- Matariki Network turns 10! April 29, 2020